One Night Project: Analog Current-Mode Hysteresis Brushed Motor Controller

Hysteresis Best-Teresis. Tonight I built a current-mode controller for brushed motors. Instead of going the traditional route using a microcontroller controlling PWM through a PI loop, I used only a comparator and an op amp. I had a hunch that this would work while being exceedingly simple. My hunch turned out to be correct, and […]

October, and a New Motor Controller

October has been a month of pretty hardcore board layout fun. Two days ago I submitted a 3pcb order with 5 WHOLE BOARDS. First up, a new ESC, ESC Mk 2: Second up, basically the same board but without the microcontroller: Third up: an NRF24L01+ controller board, using an STM32F303. Fourth up: another NRF24L01+ controller […]

Cook-Me-Pasta: Pasta and Dumpling Cooking Machine!

Recently I constructed a rather interesting machine. The machine was the result of several factors: Last spring a project vacuum was created after I finished the Granite Mini-Mill. The granite mini-mill was very legitimate, and therefore it was time to create something illegitimate. Preferably, something really, really illegitimate. Time is finite. This is a stunning realization: […]

Motor Control: The Velocity Estimator Saga

Last time, I’d managed to make current control work on my new board, and now it was time for servo position control. After a bit of hacking around and trying random PID gains, I wrote some code to generate a position profile for the motor to track. Using this framework I could easily run sinusoid or step response tests and […]

Motor Controller: Board 5!!!

When we left off last time, I’d dealt with a bunch of issues with misused current sensors. Here is a photo of the lovely Motor Science Rig in all its glory, taken with Bayley’s ViewCamera. With the current sensors installed properly, it was time to move from voltage-mode FOC to current-mode FOC. I had some minor issues doing […]

FOC PART 4: More Hardware Debugging!!!

The Motor Science Rig. When I left off last time, I had bestowed the ADCs with capacitor-based magic which caused them to function properly. The next step was to hook up the current sensors and forcefully request that they, too, function properly. Wary of hardware problems, I collected some data before jumping straight to current-mode FOC. Through […]