Quadro Coolant Ring for the MITERS Dyna CNC!

Recently I made a cool attachment for the MITERS dyna-myte CNC machine. Before, we only had one coolant hose on the CNC (WEAK SAUCE!!!) and the coolant hose itself was the limiting factor in terms of coolant speed. Now we got four and man she rips.

IMG_4274

Here’s how I built it.

First I took some measurements and made a CAD drawing. The ID is exactly 100mm, which will fit around the dyna spindle. The clamping mechanism was an “I’ll figure that out later” job.

ring 1

How it works: coolant flows through the lid and into the manifold channel. The channel distributes it around the ring. The lid will be sealed on with a lot of bolts and some silicone seal. Here is the tool path.

ring 2

I never actually CADded the lid- I planned to just run the same job twice without cutting the channel on the lid.

Here is a pic of the dyna before the mods. One coolant hose, WEAK!

IMG_4239

Finagled the stock into the vise, and finagled the zise into the right position. It was a real PITA as this part was pretty close to the size of the build volume of the dyna. I then rotated the coordinate system of the part in solidworks to match the weird stock angle.

IMG_4245

Centerdrillin.

IMG_4251

The center bore made a huge pile of chips. Needs another three hoses to push the chips off!

IMG_4258

Shiny!!!

IMG_4259

The mill actually looks badass. Having a CNC in miters is actually awesome.

IMG_4260

Jamo offered to help me waterjet the lid, but unfortunately the waterjet blew up mid job and only cut out most of the bolt holes and the input hose hole.

IMG_4253

Better than nothing. I bandsawed out the piece and bolted it onto the main block, which was still in the vise. Just rezeroed the Z and ran the operations to cut the outer contours and drill a few remaining uncut bolt holes.

IMG_4262

All cut. Unfortunately the mill made a surprise plunge with a countersink into one of the bolt holes. Luckily, the coolant channel was untouched and thus the part was still fine.

IMG_4264

The surface finish left with these zirconium nitride endmills is great.

IMG_4265

I bandsawed off as much of the leftover stock as possible and stuck it in the Clausing.

IMG_4266

I turned off the bottom of the input shoulder, which was a bit scary as it was an interrupted cut. However,  no problems were encountered.

IMG_4268

I bandsawed a cut and bridgeported in a recessed clamping screw. I then did a bit of sanding which gave the anodized bottom a cool look.

IMG_4273

Holes tapped for 1/4 NPT and pipes installed!!!

IMG_4274

Installed into the machine and coolant attached! Whoa!

IMG_4392

A great success. Definitely a good addition to the CNC.

IMG_4394

At this point the ball valve on the coolant hose is the limiting factor in terms of coolant flow.

Great success!

 

Motor Controller: Board 5!!!

When we left off last time, I’d dealt with a bunch of issues with misused current sensors. Here is a photo of the lovely Motor Science Rig in all its glory, taken with Bayley’s ViewCamera. With the current sensors installed properly, it was time to move from voltage-mode FOC to current-mode FOC. I had some minor issues doing […]

FOC PART 4: More Hardware Debugging!!!

The Motor Science Rig. When I left off last time, I had bestowed the ADCs with capacitor-based magic which caused them to function properly. The next step was to hook up the current sensors and forcefully request that they, too, function properly. Wary of hardware problems, I collected some data before jumping straight to current-mode FOC. Through […]

FOC Motor Controller part 3: The Delinquent Current Sensors Persist

Welcome back to the motor control suite. After blowing up the last board, I decided to design a new one.  Changes included new current sense amplifiers and a different power regulator setup. The current sense amps were the LMP8481, which required an additional 3.3v trace to be routed to the sense amplifier area. This proved […]

Back Burner Project: FOC Motor Controller!

It seems as if building a motor controller is somewhat of a MITERS rite-of-passage. Inspired by Ben’s and Bayley’s motor control work, I decided to embark on my own motor control adventures. This morning, I pressed the 3pcb button for a batch of 10 boards. Chips onboard: IRSM005-800MH half bridges with integrated gate drive STM32F446 […]